Tailored from my common pizza dough recipe, this entire wheat pizza dough comes along with 6 easy elements. It’s not as mild and chewy as conventional pizza crust, nevertheless it’s splendidly tender with a definite healthful hearty taste. This recipe is ideal for yeast rookies who get pleasure from baking with entire wheat flour. Use your favourite toppings or strive my roasted vegetable entire wheat pizza.
Complete wheat pizza crust will get a nasty fame as a result of as a rule, it’s dense, bland, and crumbly. The fact is that entire wheat yeasted dough simply can’t rise to the identical degree as white flour dough– actually! However again in 2014, I labored to develop a 100% entire wheat pizza dough that not solely rises splendidly, it’s tender with nice taste too. If you happen to favor the hearty goodness of entire wheat flour, you’ll actually get pleasure from this pizza dough.
Complete Wheat Pizza Dough Particulars
- The way it compares to common pizza crust: Take pleasure in a tender, but hearty base to your favourite pizza toppings. The crust will not be almost as chewy as pizza crust made with all white flour. Nevertheless, what it lacks in chew, it makes up for in taste.
- Taste: When baking yeasted entire wheat dough akin to these entire wheat dinner rolls, I like utilizing honey because the sugar element. This crust has a contact of honey, sufficient salt, 100% entire wheat flour, plus you may add garlic and/or your favourite dried herbs akin to basil, oregano, and thyme. (Or an Italian seasoning combine.)
- Ease: This recipe is for bread rookies. Making do-it-yourself pizza dough can actually be an artwork– tossing the dough within the air, shaping, prolonged rise occasions, and so forth– and it’s at all times definitely worth the effort! However for the on a regular basis, I like turning to simplified recipes like right this moment’s or my common pizza crust. There’s simply 1 rise, somewhat little bit of kneading and shaping, and then you definitely’re prepared to assemble your toppings and bake.
- Time: Put aside slightly below 3 hours for this do-it-yourself dough and understand that more often than not is arms off because the dough rises.
Baking with Yeast Information
Reference this Baking with Yeast Information everytime you work with baker’s yeast. I embody sensible solutions to your whole widespread yeast questions.
You’ll discover that many yeasted dough recipes use related elements– yeast, liquid, flour, salt, and typically somewhat sugar. There will be additions akin to eggs, butter, oil, and flavorings, however for entire wheat pizza dough, it’s finest to maintain it easy. Pizza dough is what’s often called a “lean dough” as a result of in contrast to cinnamon rolls and doughnuts, it’s not wealthy with fats. I do, nonetheless, like so as to add somewhat olive oil for taste and softness.
Primary Components for Your Complete Wheat Pizza Dough
Right here’s a fast breakdown of the 6 elements you want, plus a pair extras. The total printable recipe is beneath and a brand new video tutorial is coming quickly!
- Water: Complete wheat flour accommodates unrefined grains like germ and bran– and each take in plenty of liquid. (And for this reason many entire wheat breads can style dry.) To keep away from a crumbly dry crust, be sure to use sufficient water. I examined this pizza dough recipe with various quantities of water and 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) is ideal to hydrate the entire wheat flour. Use heat water to chop down on rise time, about 100-110°F (38-43°C).
- Yeast: You should utilize both prompt (fast rise) or energetic dry yeast on this dough. I often use Platinum Yeast by Pink Star, which is an prompt yeast. As a result of yeast has to work tougher to make entire wheat flour rise, we’ll use barely extra yeast on this dough in comparison with my common pizza dough recipe. You want 1 Tablespoon (8.5g).
- Honey: Yeast feeds on sugar so to ensure that this dough to rise correctly, you want somewhat sugar within the dough. 1 Tablespoon of honey additionally provides taste and tenderizes the dough. If wanted, you should utilize common white granulated sugar as a substitute.
- Complete Wheat Flour: For 100% entire wheat pizza crust, use all entire wheat flour as instructed within the recipe beneath. For lighter entire grain taste, be happy to switch a number of the entire wheat flour with an equal quantity of bread flour or all-purpose flour.
- Oil: Further virgin olive oil provides great taste to the dough. Don’t neglect to brush the dough with olive oil earlier than including the toppings, which prevents the crust from tasting soggy.
- Salt: Salt provides essential taste.
- Extras: Cornmeal isn’t within the dough, nevertheless it’s used to mud the pizza pan. Cornmeal provides the pizza crust somewhat further taste and crisp. Most supply pizzas you get pleasure from have cornmeal on the underside crust! And be happy so as to add some dried herbs to the dough itself or sprinkle on the dough earlier than including the toppings. You would additionally add garlic or garlic powder in or on prime of the dough. See recipe notes beneath for particulars.
Step-by-Step Photographs: Easy methods to Make Complete Wheat Pizza Dough
Listed here are photographs displaying a number of the course of so you may really feel assured when it’s your flip to strive the recipe.
Use a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment or combine the dough collectively by hand with a rubber spatula or wood spoon. Proper out of the blending bowl, the dough is barely sticky and cheesy. Place it on a calmly floured work floor (beneath, left) after which knead the dough by hand* till it’s easy, elastic, and bounces again once you poke it with a finger (beneath, proper).
*As detailed within the recipe, you may knead the dough together with your mixer on low pace as a substitute.
Let the dough rise in a calmly greased bowl till doubled in dimension, about 2 hours.
After the dough rises, punch it all the way down to launch the air and lower the dough in half. Freeze the 2nd half of dough or make 2 pizzas.
Utilizing calmly floured arms or rolling pin, gently flatten the dough right into a disc. Place on a greased pizza pan sprinkled calmly with cornmeal and, utilizing calmly floured arms, stretch and flatten the disc right into a 12-inch circle and raise/pinch a lip across the edges. If you happen to’re searching for a pizza pan, I exploit and love (affiliate hyperlinks) this one and this one. If you happen to don’t have a pizza pan, use a big baking sheet.
Brush the formed dough with olive oil and be happy so as to add a sprinkle of your favourite dried herbs and/or chopped garlic earlier than including your required pizza toppings.
Toppings & Different Makes use of for this Dough
You should utilize any pizza toppings you want like plain cheese pizza, pepperoni, peppers, onions, cooked sausage, and so forth. Pictured above is margherita pizza fashion with 1 clove chopped garlic, 1/3 cup (42g) of pizza sauce (do-it-yourself or store-bought), 6-8 ounces shredded and/or thinly sliced contemporary mozzarella cheese (I used a mix totaling 7 ounces), 1 sliced plum tomato, and a sprinkle of freshly floor black pepper and Italian seasoning combine. When the pizza got here out of the oven, I added a handful of chopped contemporary basil.
Roasted vegetable entire wheat pizza is one other favourite on this entire wheat pizza crust.
Freezing Complete Wheat Pizza Dough
This recipe yields slightly below 2 lbs of dough, which is sufficient for 2 12-inch pizzas. After the pizza dough rises and also you divide the dough in half (step 5), you may freeze one of many balls of dough to make pizza at a later time. Or you may merely freeze each balls of dough individually. Evenly coat all sides of the dough ball(s) with nonstick spray or olive oil. Place the dough ball(s) into particular person zipped-top bag(s) and seal tightly, squeezing out all of the air. Freeze for as much as 3 months. To thaw, place the frozen pizza dough within the fridge for about 8 hours or in a single day. When able to make pizza, take away the dough from the fridge and permit to relaxation for half-hour on the counter. Proceed with step 5 within the recipe beneath.
Comply with these detailed directions for making straightforward entire wheat pizza dough at dwelling. The recipe yields nearly 2 lbs of entire wheat pizza dough, which is sufficient for 2 12-inch pizzas.
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) heat water (between 100-110°F, 38-43°C)
- 1 Tablespoon energetic dry or prompt yeast*
- 1 Tablespoon (21g) honey*
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) further virgin olive oil, plus further for pan and brushing dough
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 and 1/4 cups (420g) entire wheat flour (spoon & leveled)*
- sprinkle of cornmeal for dusting pan
- non-obligatory: chopped contemporary garlic, garlic powder, and/or dried herbs akin to basil, oregano, thyme or an Italian seasoning combine (see notice)
- Whisk the nice and cozy water, yeast, and honey collectively within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Cowl and permit to relaxation for five minutes or till foamy on prime. *If you happen to don’t have a stand mixer, merely use a big mixing bowl and blend the dough with a wood spoon or rubber spatula within the subsequent step.
- Add the olive oil, salt, and flour. Beat on low pace for 3 minutes. Flip the dough out onto a calmly floured floor. Will probably be barely cheesy to the contact. With calmly floured arms, knead the dough for five minutes. The dough is usually a little too heavy for a mixer to knead it, however you may actually use the mixer on low pace if wanted as a substitute. After kneading, the dough ought to nonetheless really feel somewhat tender. Poke it together with your finger – if it slowly bounces again, your dough is able to rise. If not, hold kneading.
- Evenly grease a big bowl with olive oil or nonstick spray– simply use the identical bowl you used for the dough. Place the dough within the bowl, turning it to coat all sides within the oil. Cowl the bowl with aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or a clear kitchen towel. Permit the dough to rise at room temperature for two hours or till double in dimension. (Tip: For the nice and cozy setting on a very chilly day, warmth your oven to 150°F (66°C). Flip the oven off, place the dough inside, and hold the door barely ajar. This will likely be a heat setting to your dough to rise. After about half-hour, shut the oven door to lure the air inside with the rising dough. When it’s doubled in dimension, take away from the oven.)
- Preheat oven to 475°F (246°C). Permit it to warmth for at the very least 15-20 minutes as you form the pizza. (If utilizing a pizza stone, place it within the oven to preheat as effectively.) Evenly grease baking sheet or pizza pan with nonstick spray or olive oil. Sprinkle calmly with cornmeal, which supplies the crust further crunch and taste.
- Form the dough: When the dough is prepared, punch it all the way down to launch any air bubbles. Divide the dough in half. (If not making 2 pizzas, freeze half of the dough for an additional time– see freezing directions beneath.) On a calmly floured work floor utilizing calmly floured arms or rolling pin, gently flatten the dough right into a disc. Place on ready pan and, utilizing calmly floured arms, stretch and flatten the disc right into a 12-inch circle. Raise the sting of the dough as much as create a lip across the edges. I merely pinch the perimeters as much as create the rim. If utilizing a pizza stone, place the dough straight on baker’s peels dusted with cornmeal.
- Cowl dough calmly with plastic wrap or a clear kitchen towel and permit to relaxation for a couple of minutes as you put together your pizza toppings.
- Prime & bake the pizza: To stop the filling from making your pizza crust soggy, brush the highest calmly with olive oil. Utilizing your fingers, push dents into the floor of the dough to stop effervescent. Prime together with your favourite toppings and bake for 15-16 minutes.
- Slice scorching pizza and serve instantly. Retailer leftover pizza lined tightly within the fridge and reheat as you favor. Baked pizza slices could also be frozen as much as 1 month.
- Freezing Directions: This recipe yields sufficient dough for 2 12-inch pizzas, rather less than 2 kilos complete. After the pizza dough rises and also you divide the dough in half (step 5), you may freeze one of many balls of dough to make pizza at a later time. Or you may merely freeze each balls of dough individually. Evenly coat all sides of the dough ball(s) with nonstick spray or olive oil. Place the dough ball(s) into particular person zipped-top bag(s) and seal tightly, squeezing out all of the air. Freeze for as much as 3 months. To thaw, place the frozen pizza dough within the fridge for about 8 hours or in a single day. When able to make pizza, take away the dough from the fridge and permit to relaxation for half-hour on the counter. Preheat the oven and proceed with step 5, punching down the dough to launch air if wanted.
- In a single day/All Day Directions: Put together the dough by step 3, however permit the dough to rise for 8-12 hours within the fridge. (If it must be within the fridge for longer, use cooler water within the dough which can sluggish the dough’s rise and permit for extra time.) The sluggish rise provides the pizza dough great taste! When prepared, proceed with step 5. If the dough didn’t fairly double in dimension in a single day, let it sit at room temperature for 30-45 minutes earlier than punching down (step 5).
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): KitchenAid Stand Mixer, Dough Scraper, Pizza Pan, Pastry Brush, Pizza Cutter
- Yeast: You should utilize energetic dry or prompt yeast on this dough recipe. I often use Platinum Yeast by Pink Star, which is an prompt yeast. If utilizing energetic dry yeast, the rise time will likely be barely longer. Remember that 1 Tablespoon is barely greater than 1 customary 7g packet of yeast. Reference my Baking with Yeast Information for solutions to widespread yeast FAQs.
- Honey Substitution: If wanted, you may 1 Tablespoon (13g) common white granulated sugar as a substitute.
- Complete Wheat Flour: For 100% entire wheat pizza crust, use all entire wheat flour as instructed within the recipe. For lighter entire grain taste, be happy to switch a number of the entire wheat flour with an equal quantity of bread flour or all-purpose flour. If you happen to want to use all white flour, I like to recommend this pizza dough recipe. My workforce and I’ve not examined a gluten free model of this crust.
- Garlic/Herbs: For further taste, you may add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 chopped garlic clove to the dough once you add the salt. You can even add 1/2 teaspoon of dried herbs akin to basil, oregano, thyme or an Italian seasoning combine once you add the salt. I often add 1 chopped garlic clove on prime of the formed dough after brushing it with olive oil (step 7), then I add desired pizza toppings on prime of the garlic. You can even calmly sprinkle the formed dough with dried herbs/Italian seasoning combine beneath or on prime of your required pizza toppings.
- Pictured Pizza Toppings: Pictured above is margherita pizza fashion with 1 clove chopped garlic, 1/3 cup (42g) of pizza sauce (do-it-yourself or store-bought), 6-8 ounces shredded and/or thinly sliced contemporary mozzarella cheese (I used a mix totaling 7 ounces), 1 sliced plum tomato, and a sprinkle of freshly floor black pepper and Italian seasoning combine. When the pizza got here out of the oven, I added a handful of chopped contemporary basil. Additionally pictured proper above this recipe is roasted vegetable pizza.
- Recipe initially printed on Sally’s Baking Habit in 2014. The one change is that I used to make use of 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar to proof the yeast in step 1 after which I added the 1 Tbsp of honey in step 2. Now, because the recipe states, you simply want 1 Tbsp of honey and you should utilize that within the proofing step. Straightforward!
Key phrases: entire wheat pizza crust